continuum-users mailing list archives

From Philippe Busque <pbus...@mediagrif.com>
Subject Build dependencies issue with 1.4.1
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 17:07:14 GMT
Hello,
In January, we upgraded Continuum from version 1.3.8 to 1.4.1.  This helped solve one major
issue we had with Continuum: speed due to permission pollution.

However, we've been getting more and more report from our developer than their change weren't
in the daily build.  After investigation, we noticed that the build queue has changed since
1.3.8.

We have many project group. Each group contains a series of project that are dependant to
each other.
In 1.3.8,  when a scheduled build was triggered, Continuum would process each group, render
the dependency and enqueue the builds in a unique queue per group.
So group A would go in queue 1, group B in queue 2, group C in queue 1 and so on. We had 6
build queues and everything was built in order.

Since 1.4.1, we noticed the project were build out of order, more likely due to the fact that
various project in groups were build into different queue. So project  A that depend on B
who depend on C could be compiled with an older copy of C because it got queued after B and
B compiled much faster than C.

Is there a way to restore the old way for queueing behaviour? Or enable parallel build based
on group rather than project?
Our current workaround is to lower the parallel build from 6 to 1, but this apply to EVERY
group, so there's only 1 queue to build over 500 projects. This slow down compilation considerably.

Thanks for any advice or suggestion.

--

Philippe Busque
1111, rue St-Charles Ouest,

Ce message et les fichiers d’accompagnement transmis avec celui-ci s’adressent expressément
au(x) destinataire(s) et peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels et privilégiés.
Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, veuillez en aviser immédiatement l’expéditeur par
courrier électronique. Veuillez également ne pas en prendre connaissance et en supprimer
toutes les copies immédiatement. Technologies Interactives Mediagrif Inc. et ses filiales
n’acceptent aucune responsabilité à l’égard des opinions exprimées dans le message
ou des conséquences de tout virus informatique qui pourrait être transmis avec ce message.
Ce message fait également l’objet d’un copyright. Il est interdit d’en reproduire,
adapter ou transmettre quelque partie que ce soit sans le consentement écrit du détenteur
du copyright.

This email and any files transmitted with it are solely intended for the use of the addressee(s)
and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. If you receive this email
in error, please advise us by return email immediately. Please also disregard the contents
of the email, delete it and destroy any copies immediately. Mediagrif Interactive Technologies
Inc. and its subsidiaries do not accept liability for the views expressed in the email or
for the consequences of any computer viruses that may be transmitted with this email. This
email is also subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or transmitted
without the written consent of the copyright owner.