continuum-users mailing list archives

From Louis Smith <dr.louis.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project prepare / perform
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:22:10 GMT
Hi... Sorry, I have been in meetings all day... let me try to answer.

The /trunk/ is ALWAYS the working directory, and is where -SNAPSHOT
jar/war/ear files are created from for testing on the Integration
environment.

The prepare/perform release process works like this:

1) You start with a current "-SNAPSHOT" - such as your example
0.0.5-SNAPSHOT
2) The "Prepare" copies this off to the new tag location in SVN at the "root
version" - 0.0.5 and prepares the trunk to be 0.0.6-SNAPSHOT
3) the "Perform" checks out the code from the new tag/0.0.5 (which is NOT a
"-SNAPSHOT") version, builds, packages, and installs this as
groupid/artifactid-0.0.5.<packaging>
4) you do a new build (in the trunk) which updates the current continuum
project to 0.0.6-SNAPSHOT.

The release is always the "root" of the current "-SNAPSHOT" and the SNAPSHOT
is updated to the next "working version".

We have 174 projects in Continuum now, and do releases all the time - of
supporting enterprise .JAR files, and of our WAR and EAR based applications.

Louis

--
Dr. Louis Smith, ThD
Chief Technology Officer, Kyra InfoTech