continuum-users mailing list archives

From murali mohan <muralih...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrade from 1.1 to 1.3.6
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:55:11 GMT
Thank you.

I pointed a fresh 1.3.6 continuum instance at the existing 1.1
database. It seems to have picked up and started off well. I can also
see Parallel Queues and Purge Schedule options which were not there in
1.1.

But won't there be issues related to data or data model (if not now,
may be when the builds start running regularly)? Any DML or DDL
statements that I should be running? Or do we have to wait till a
problem occurs to fix it?

thanks,
Murali.

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 5:21 AM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
> Did you try running 1.3 directly against the existing database? Perhaps it's time we
just simplified the upgrade instructions to that and sort out any issues that need to be handled,
since the data management path is often a problem.

> - Brett
>
> On 18/08/2010, at 7:58 PM, murali mohan wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Still waiting for any suggestions to go forward with this upgrade.
>>
>> I also tried to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 first which also failed with a
>> similar message -
>> "ERROR 42X04: Column 'THIS.MODEL_ENCODING' is either not in any table in
>> the FROM list or appears within a join specification and is outside the
>> scope of the join specification or appears in a HAVING clause and is not in
>> the GROUP BY list. If this is a CREATE or ALTER TABLE  statement then
>> 'THIS.MODEL_ENCODING' is not a column in the target table.
>>
>> thanks,
>> Murali.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 4:46 PM, murali mohan <muralihere@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Trying out the Data Management tool to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.3.6:
>>>
>>> 1) Did the export for "continuum" database of 1.1 first. It ran without
>>> errors. Comand used - "java -Xmx512m -jar data-management-cli-1.1-app.jar
>>> -buildsJdbcUrl jdbc:derby:./database11/continuum -mode EXPORT -directory
>>> backups"
>>>
>>> 2) Started up a continuum version of 1.3.6 to have the data model ready.
>>>
>>> 3) Tried to import the backed up data to the database created. Command
>>> given in http://continuum.apache.org/docs/1.3.6/installation/upgrade.htmlfails.
Command - "java -Xmx512m -jar data-management-cli-1.3.2-app.jar