continuum-users mailing list archives

From Marica Tan <marica....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does distributed build really work?
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 02:44:25 GMT
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2010-02-24 06:28, Marica Tan wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> We've got Continuum 1.3.5 set up properly on Red Hat EL4 now, with all
> >> projects building successfully. Next we wanted to turn on distributed
> >> build to have some projects built on Windows build agents.
> >>
> >> The local repo for a build agent running on the console on Windows ends
> >> up in C:\root\.m2\repository. This is an odd place for it since there is
> >> no user called "root". Is this configurable somehow? Perhaps a better
> >> default value should be used when running on Windows.
> >>

> > The default local repo is taken from the settings.xml.
>
> Is that ${user.home}\.m2\settings.xml for the user running the build agent?

Yes.

> > Instead of using the Default local repository, you can create a new one
> with
> > the correct value for windows and use it in your project group.
>
> Do you mean in the web UI of the Continuum master?
>
> Yes.

> >> Is it possible to add a settings.xml file for the build agent? We tried
> >> putting it in C:\root\.m2\ as well as ${user.home}\.m2 of the user
> >> running the build agent. Neither seems to works.
> >>

> > Putting it in ${USER_HOME}/.m2 should work. Is there a settings.xml in
> your
> > ${M2_HOME}/conf?
>
> Don't know I'll have to check. I don't have access to that machine right
> now. At least we know where to out the file now, thanks.
>

> >> Are installations mapped between the master and the build agents? i.e.
> >> should the installations have the same name on both master and agents.
> >> How does the agent know which installations to use?
> >>

> > Installations in the build environment configured in the project will be
> > used by the build agent.
>
> But the build agent might not have the same installations as the master
> installed on its machine or perhaps it must. I'm probably
> misunderstanding how this works. I'll try with an example:
>
> Master installations:
> Java 1.5
> Maven 2.0.10
>
> Build Agent installations:
> Java 1.6
> Maven 2.2.1
>
> How is the build agent supposed to use the installations configured in
> the master? In the example above, the installations defined on the
> master don't exist on the build agent. Neither configured nor installed.
>
> Are the names of the installations of the build environment sent from
> the master to the build agents?

Currently, you can only view the available installations on the build agents
from the master's web ui.

In order to use the build agent installations, you still have to create
those from the continuum master's web ui and then attached them to the build
environment.

> >> As I said initially we had everything up and running nicely, until we
> >> turned on distributed builds. When we turned it on all builds were
> >> directed to the single configured build agent, even though only one
> >> project had been configured to use the use the "Windows Build
> >> Environment" that we had configured to hook up to the Build Agent Group.
> >> All projects failed, except the one that was configured to use the build
> >> agent. The build message was a single line of text in Swedish, the
> >> locale of the Build Agent's Windows OS. Freely translated it said
> >> "Cannot find the path". When we turn off distributed builds things are
> >> back to normal again and the projects build successfully on the Red Hat
> >> master again.
> >>

> > Do you have another build agent intended for your other projects?
> >
> > If the other projects are not configured with a build environment hook up
> > a build agent group (which specify where they should build), then they
> will
> > be directed to any available build agent.
>
> All out projects have a configured build environment. We want some of
> the projects [W] to be built on a Windows machine, while the rest [L]
> should be built on the Continuum master running on Linux.
>
> We configured some projects [W] to use a Windows build environment which
> has a build agent group consisting of 1 Windows machine.
>
> The rest of the projects [L] use the same build environment that they
> used before we turned on distributed builds. It is not connected to any
> build agent group. Its build environment consists of installations on
> the Continuum master.
>
> Do we need to install and configure a build agent on the master as well?
> And configure the rest of the projects [L] to use a build environment
> that is connected to a build agent group consisting of that (master)
> build agent?

Yes. When distributed build is enabled, continuum master will delegate all
build tasks to the build agents. So if you want to build the rest of the
projects in the same machine as the master, then you need to configure a
build agent on that machine.