continuum-users mailing list archives

From Marica Tan <marica....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does distributed build really work?
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 05:28:25 GMT
On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 5:54 AM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> We've got Continuum 1.3.5 set up properly on Red Hat EL4 now, with all
> projects building successfully. Next we wanted to turn on distributed
> build to have some projects built on Windows build agents.
>
> The local repo for a build agent running on the console on Windows ends
> up in C:\root\.m2\repository. This is an odd place for it since there is
> no user called "root". Is this configurable somehow? Perhaps a better
> default value should be used when running on Windows.

The default local repo is taken from the settings.xml.

Instead of using the Default local repository, you can create a new one with
the correct value for windows and use it in your project group.

> Is it possible to add a settings.xml file for the build agent? We tried
> putting it in C:\root\.m2\ as well as ${user.home}\.m2 of the user
> running the build agent. Neither seems to works.

Putting it in ${USER_HOME}/.m2 should work. Is there a settings.xml in your
${M2_HOME}/conf?

> Are installations mapped between the master and the build agents? i.e.
> should the installations have the same name on both master and agents.
> How does the agent know which installations to use?

Installations in the build environment configured in the project will be
used by the build agent.

> As I said initially we had everything up and running nicely, until we
> turned on distributed builds. When we turned it on all builds were
> directed to the single configured build agent, even though only one
> project had been configured to use the use the "Windows Build
> Environment" that we had configured to hook up to the Build Agent Group.
> All projects failed, except the one that was configured to use the build
> agent. The build message was a single line of text in Swedish, the
> locale of the Build Agent's Windows OS. Freely translated it said
> "Cannot find the path". When we turn off distributed builds things are
> back to normal again and the projects build successfully on the Red Hat
> master again.

Do you have another build agent intended for your other projects?

If the other projects are not configured with a build environment hook up to
a build agent group (which specify where they should build), then they will
be directed to any available build agent.

> Has anyone else experienced this? Is just a configuration mistake on our
> part or is it a bug? Let me know if you want me to create JIRAs for this.
>
> --
> Dennis Lundberg

Thanks,
--