continuum-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <>
Subject Does distributed build really work?
Date Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:54:23 GMT

We've got Continuum 1.3.5 set up properly on Red Hat EL4 now, with all
projects building successfully. Next we wanted to turn on distributed
build to have some projects built on Windows build agents.

The local repo for a build agent running on the console on Windows ends
up in C:\root\.m2\repository. This is an odd place for it since there is
no user called "root". Is this configurable somehow? Perhaps a better
default value should be used when running on Windows.

Is it possible to add a settings.xml file for the build agent? We tried
putting it in C:\root\.m2\ as well as ${user.home}\.m2 of the user
running the build agent. Neither seems to works.

Are installations mapped between the master and the build agents? i.e.
should the installations have the same name on both master and agents.
How does the agent know which installations to use?

As I said initially we had everything up and running nicely, until we
turned on distributed builds. When we turned it on all builds were
directed to the single configured build agent, even though only one
project had been configured to use the use the "Windows Build
Environment" that we had configured to hook up to the Build Agent Group.
All projects failed, except the one that was configured to use the build
agent. The build message was a single line of text in Swedish, the
locale of the Build Agent's Windows OS. Freely translated it said
"Cannot find the path". When we turn off distributed builds things are
back to normal again and the projects build successfully on the Red Hat
master again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is just a configuration mistake on our
part or is it a bug? Let me know if you want me to create JIRAs for this.

Dennis Lundberg

View raw message