continuum-users mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: showing status for modules/projects built recursively
Date Fri, 26 Feb 2010 00:39:22 GMT

On 26/02/2010, at 11:25 AM, Wendy Smoak wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 7:06 PM, Brett Porter <brett@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I still don't understand what you're saying - actually it almost sounds like a misconfiguration.
>>
>> Are you using a group with all the modules added as individual projects, or was the
project added using the flag on the add page that results in a single project for the whole
tree?

>> And you're saying that the parent project is set to build recursively or non-recursively
(-N) ?

> The multi-module project was added normally, so that all the modules
> show up as individual projects in Continuum.
>
> Then another build def was added to the parent project.  This new
> build def does NOT have the --non-recursive argument.
>
> The requested behavior is for the individual Continuum projects to
> show the build status when the parent is built recursively.
>
> I can sort of see their point, since the Maven projects _did_ get
> built, but that's certainly not the way it works now.

I don't think this is a wise way to configure Continuum, and if anything I'd move to preventing
it in the future by more closely linking the types of projects. The recursive build is going
to refire all the others by dependency change

The right way to handle this for now is to add another project intended to be built recursively
(possibly in a different group).

It sounds like what they want is a recursive build type that can also fold out the status
of the subprojects (but not reflect it on projects that were added independently). That'd
be a reasonable feature request.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter