continuum-users mailing list archives

From dbruley <david.bru...@corelinksolutions.com>
Subject Best Practices/Correct Use of Build Definitions and Templates
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 04:40:06 GMT

Hello,

This is probably a newbie question, but I have a few questions on the
correct/intended use of Build Definitions and Build Definition Templates in
Continuum 1.2.3.  We're developing our plan to upgrade to 1.2.3 from 1.0.3
and want to make sure we're taking full advantage of what 1.2.3 offers.

Reading the documentation and articles on the web, I've created different
build definitions and build definition templates.  If I add a Maven 2.0
project, I see where I can choose the build definition template I would like
to use.  That all makes sense.

Where I am a little less clear is what happens/should happen when I create a
new group.  It seems that it uses the predefined "Default Maven 2 Template".
It also seems that the build definition for the group is listed under the
Available Build Definitions section when I click "Build Definitions
Template", so if I don't rename the group's definition, there will be two
entries with a description of "Default Maven 2 Build Definition".

So a few questions:

1) If we want all new groups to have by default an additional goal, let's
say site:site, is it acceptable to modify the predefined "Default Maven 2
Build Definition" used by the Default Maven 2 Template.

2) Or, should we modify the Default Maven 2 Template removing the Default
Maven 2 Build Definition from Used Build Definitions and adding a definition
we define.

3) Since it seems that the build definition for a group is added to the
table of build defintions, is it correct to assume that it is good practice
to change the description to reference the build definition for that group
to avoid seeing multiple listings with a description of "Default Maven 2
Build Definition"

4) If we remove the group level build definition, what is used when we do a
Build All Projects in that group?

Are there any other words of wisdom anyone has to offer?

Thanks in advance for any clarification or advice you can offer, I
appreciate the help.

Dave