continuum-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automated installation after build
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:56:35 GMT
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM, Adrian Wiesmann<awiesmann@somap.org> wrote:

> The main problem I am having is to understand where Continuum stops and
> where tools like Ant and Maven start. Which feature is part of Continuum
> and which feature is part of a third party library. When understanding
> this it becomes less complicated to find the correct source for help.

One way to think about Continuum is "build automation".  If you look
in the logs, you'll see it executing a command-line build like "mvn
clean install" or "ant build" on the schedule you chose [subject to
some conditions like whether anything has changed in source control].

So that would mean you need to make your Ant script do everything you
want, then have Continuum execute it at the correct time.

> You are right, I could use the copy task from my Ant script (there already
> is one). What I did not understand (see my problem above) was if that copy
> mechanism already is a feature of Continuum or if I should use an Ant
> script.

There has occasionally been discussion of adding pre- and post- build
hooks into Continuum, so you can execute things that are not part of
the build, but it hasn't happened yet.

I prefer to put these kind of things into a section of the build that
only gets run if the build is happening on the Continuum server.
(With Maven, I do it in a profile.)

> So just a follow up question: when using some copy task from my Ant
> script. Should I add a new Ant task to my continuum configuration, or
> should I just call a build task in my Ant script which also publishes the
> application? Whats the good practice there?

I'd probably do the former and add a separate task that's only called
by Continuum (or on demand).  The latter sounds like it would make it
part of the default build, so it would happen for a developer who's
just trying to build the project locally and work on it.

--
Wendy