continuum-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Wiesmann <awiesm...@somap.org>
Subject Re: Automated installation after build
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:51:12 GMT
Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:

> One way to think about Continuum is "build automation".  If you look
> in the logs, you'll see it executing a command-line build like "mvn
> clean install" or "ant build" on the schedule you chose [subject to
> some conditions like whether anything has changed in source control].
>
> So that would mean you need to make your Ant script do everything you
> want, then have Continuum execute it at the correct time.

I think I get the hang of it. But the learning curve is quite steep.

Thanks to your help I was now able to do what I wanted to. Thanks again.

> There has occasionally been discussion of adding pre- and post- build
> hooks into Continuum, so you can execute things that are not part of
> the build, but it hasn't happened yet.

If I understood it correctly, you should be able to do so today already?
Like having multiple build steps where you call a different Ant target. I
do something like that calling the install_webapp target after the build
target.

What I am wondering now is the following scenario:

We do have a properties.xml and a properties-local.xml. Both are
referenced from within the build.xml file (used with Ant). The -local file
basically overrides the "global" settings from the properties file. The
Ant build.xml file is part of the Subversion repository. The
properties.xml as well (-local obviously not).

What I now need on the Continuum server is the properties-local.xml as
well. I solved this with adding a properties-local.xml file to the same
folder as the files under the repositories control (manually).

Is this correct, or is there some (better) way to tell Continuum (or
directly Ant) where to find such files?

Cheers and thanks,
Adrian