continuum-users mailing list archives

From "VanIngen, Erik (FIES)" <Erik.VanIn...@fao.org>
Subject RE: continuum help...
Date Mon, 06 Jul 2009 06:57:01 GMT
You mentioning project.xml, do you use an old version of Maven? Or did you
mean pom.xml?

IMHO your problem cannot be easily solved by a CI tool itself. But if your
Maven configuration is correct, Continuum will build the dependent projects
automatically for you. In your example, if the dependencies are correctly
reflected in the pom.xml's and there is a change in project A, project B,C,D
and E will be automatically build.

Maven has also the possibility to define a explicit parent project. Look here
for more info:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html

-----Original Message-----
From: surajx [mailto:surajx@gmail.com]
Sent: 06 July 2009 07:44
To: users@continuum.apache.org
Subject: continuum help...

I am the Configuration manager for an IT firm, Currently we a using anthill
build management server for all our build related purposes. We are looking to
implement Continuous Integration in our development life cycle.

Currently the building process is done manually. Suppose there are 5 projects
A,B,C,D,E and E is the parent project and the dependency chain does like
this:
A->B->C->D->E

What we do is we build A first update project.xml of B to the latest version
of A, build B so on and so forth untill all dependent projects get built and
finally parent project gets built.

What i am thinking is automating the entire process i.e. automatically
finding out dependencies and building them first and then updating the
version of parent projects and building them again to a newer version.

Would continuum do this for me? If not is here any other CI tool that does
this?

Regards,

Suraj.