continuum-users mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Management export and import for 1.2.x -> 1.3.x ... do I really have to?
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:28:05 GMT
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:00 AM, Emmanuel Venisse
<emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com> wrote:
> The diff between Continuum-1.2.2 and 1.3.1 generated by liquibase (1.8.1) is
> the following:

Cool, can you share the command or process you used to produce this?

> Maybe it can help you to understand db schema change. For a correct update,
> I think we need to populate some table/column but it's a start.

In a visual inspection of the schemaspy output for 1.2.2 and 1.3.1 the
other day, I identified these changes:
new table  CONTINUUM_RELEASE_RESULT
new table SCHEDULE_BUILD_QUEUES
new table BUILD_QUEUE
new table PROJECT_SCM_ROOT
table PROJECT has new column SCM_RESULT_SCMRESULT_ID_OID
table PROJECT_NOTIFIER has new column SEND_ON_SCM_FAILURE
table SYSTEM_CONFIGURATION has new columns DISTRIBUTED_BUILD_ENABLED
and NUMBER_OF_BUILDS_IN_PARALLEL

That seems to match up with what liquibase found, plus setting up the
foreign key relationships.  I think I have a handle on *what* changed
from 1.2.3 to 1.3.1, what I don't understand is how much of this
change JDO can handle on its own.

Why can't it add the NUMBER_OF_BUILDS_IN_PARALLEL column?  Why does it
complain that there is no default value, when I see one in the model?

Another thing I wonder, when I compare the databases for the two
versions... the new columns appear in the *middle* of tables.  Is it
okay to append new columns to the end of an existing table?  That
seems to be what the liquibase sql is doing.

--
Wendy