continuum-users mailing list archives

From "DEGARDIN David (CAMPUS)" <david.degar...@oxylane-group.com>
Subject RE: Upgrading from 1.2.3 to 1.3
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 16:42:33 GMT
Hello Wendy,

Have you built the migration tool ? Do we all have to checkout the
appropriate revision in svn and build the tool ? I think (if you've
already did it) that it could be very helpful to distribute it. It's
just my thought.

Let me know.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:wsmoak@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 7:45 PM
To: users@continuum.apache.org
Subject: Upgrading from 1.2.3 to 1.3

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Christian Schulte <cs@schulte.it>
wrote:

> Btw, continuum is backed by a postgres database here. Will the JDO
> implementation correctly migrate the database automatically when
> upgrading to 1.3 ? Something like downloading 1.3, setting up the
> database connection to point to the same database currently in use by
> 1.2.3 and let continuum 1.3 migrate the database automatically during
> startup ?

According to the upgrade instructions, you have to go through the export
-> import -> fix the SEQUENCE_TABLE process.

I'm actually testing it now to confirm.  Comparing the schemas, I've
found four new tables, and four new columns in three existing tables.
Some of the new columns do not allow nulls and have no default value,
which I think prevents JDO from being able to upgrade the db in place.

(I'm looking at 1.3.1 specifically, it's possible we can improve the
upgrade process in 1.3.2+.)

--
Wendy