continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Rudy Dekeerschieter" <rudy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with environment variables under linux
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:03:50 GMT
Hi all,

we finally sorted this out, you have to define the variables in the
continuum/bin/continuum file (the startup file for continuum).

Rudy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rudy Dekeerschieter" <rudytje@gmail.com>
To: <users@continuum.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 4:28 PM
Subject: problem with environment variables under linux

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up continuum to work with questa, that is a tool for
system on chip design.
Thus far, I've succeeded to make continuum start as a deamon on linux -
ubuntu 8.04 to be precise.
Apparently it runs as root that way.

The problem I have is that it doesn't seem to see any environment variables.
Neither my PATH or LM_LICENSE_FILE variable are found, apparently.
If I log in as root, and check these variables with echo or export, all is
fine.

I am using makefiles (Shell project), and if I run my makefile manually (not
invoked by continuum), everything works fine, so there is no problem with
the installation of the questa tools, nor with make.

This is the output I am getting after a build:

make: Entering directory
`/opt/continuum/target/working/1/01-basics/solution'
echo /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
echo /bin/sh
/bin/sh
echo

pwd
/opt/continuum/target/working/1/01-basics/solution
whoami
root
/opt/questasim/bin/vlib work
** Warning: (vlib-34) Library already exists at &quot;work&quot;.
/opt/questasim/bin/vlog -f compile_questa
QuestaSim vlog 6.4a Compiler 2008.08 Aug 28 2008
-- Compiling package ovm_pkg
-- Compiling package conf_pkg
-- Compiling package transaction_pkg
-- Importing package ovm_pkg
-- Importing package conf_pkg
-- Compiling package memory_tlm_pkg
-- Importing package ovm_pkg
-- Importing package conf_pkg
-- Importing package transaction_pkg
-- Compiling package env_pkg
-- Importing package ovm_pkg
-- Importing package transaction_pkg
-- Importing package conf_pkg
-- Importing package memory_tlm_pkg
-- Compiling package test_pkg
-- Importing package ovm_pkg
-- Importing package conf_pkg
-- Importing package env_pkg
-- Importing package transaction_pkg
-- Importing package memory_tlm_pkg
-- Compiling package top_sv_unit
-- Importing package ovm_pkg
-- Compiling module top
-- Importing package conf_pkg
-- Importing package test_pkg
-- Importing package env_pkg
-- Importing package transaction_pkg
-- Importing package memory_tlm_pkg

Top level modules:
 top
/opt/questasim/bin/vsim -do vsim.do -c top +OVM_TESTNAME=simple_test
make: Leaving directory `/opt/continuum/target/working/1/01-basics/solution'
Unable to find the license file.  It appears that your license file
environment variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE) is not set correctly.
Unable to checkout a license.  Vsim is closing.
** Fatal: Invalid license environment. Application closing.
make: *** [simple-test] Error 4

_______________________________________

This is the PATH that continuum is apparently using (see begin of output) :
echo /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

It's not the path I've set in /etc/environment though...
I've hardcoded the path in the makefile, just for now, so that make does
find the vsim program (part of questa tools).

Also the remark at the end:
Unable to find the license file.  It appears that your license file
environment variable (e.g., LM_LICENSE_FILE) is not set correctly.
Unable to checkout a license.  Vsim is closing.

This is, I think, essentialy the same problem as with the path variable. It
is also defined in the /etc/environment file, and that works fine as long as
I do it manually without continuum.

I also tried to define the variables in ~/.profile (for root), but to no
avail...

So what is going wrong here ?
I've looked around with google, but didn't find anything usefull.
I'm fairly new to linux, but since the thing works without continuum, I
don't think it is a linux related problem.
No experience with continuum (or any other CI software, fot that matter).

Hope anyone can shed some light on this :-)
Thanks you.

Rudy