continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Brent Atkinson" <batkin...@usm.maine.edu>
Subject Re: Installations and Build Environments
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:31:31 GMT
Thank you,

I would love to help improve them. I think continuum and archiva are
great products and from hearing some complaints there appear to be a
few areas that would greatly improve user experience. It also might
cut down on dumb questions (like mine).

1.) Descriptions on the web pages that briefly describe what they are for.
2.) Help links or captions for UI components describing what they are and
how they affect the corresponding entity.
3.) (Your suggestion) Improving the site docs to better describe the system.

IMHO if 1 and 2 are done, 3 is nice, but may not be entirely necessary. In
any case, I would certainly love to contribute what I can to these great tools.

Thank you for the help,

Brent

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Brent Atkinson <batkinson@usm.maine.edu> wrote:

> Build Definitions allow you to set which Build Environment they use. Is the intent
> that you should use these to have multiple simultaneous Java, Maven and Ant
> installations and setting the Build Environment for the Build Definition sets the
> corresponding environment variables when the shell commands are run?

Yes.  For example, you may have one project that has to build with
Maven 2.0.5 and JDK 1.4, while another needs Maven 2.0.9 and JDK 1.6.
The default will be the environment for the user Continuum is running
as, which may not be correct for all projects.

Patches or suggestions for the docs are welcome if you'd like to help
improve them after you work with these features for a bit.

--
Wendy