continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Brent Atkinson" <batkin...@usm.maine.edu>
Subject Installations and Build Environments
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:19:31 GMT
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out exactly what the intent of Installations and
Build Environments are. I have searched the web, looked through the docs
on the continuum site and finally resorted to the source code.

It appears that Build Environments are a container for zero or more
Installations. Installations appear to be an abstraction for environment
variables with certain environment variables reserved for 'Tools'
(eg. Maven2 [$M2_HOME], Java [$JAVA_HOME])).

Build Definitions allow you to set which Build Environment they use. Is the intent
that you should use these to have multiple simultaneous Java, Maven and Ant
installations and setting the Build Environment for the Build Definition sets the
corresponding environment variables when the shell commands are run?

I am trying to get a sense of what these are.

Brent
batkinson@usm.maine.edu