continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Rudy Dekeerschieter" <rudy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with environment variables under linux
Date Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:45:52 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Delbecq" <delbd@oma.be>
To: <users@continuum.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: problem with environment variables under linux

En l'instant précis du 07/12/2008 16:28, Rudy Dekeerschieter s'exprimait
en ces termes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to set up continuum to work with questa, that is a tool for
> system on chip design.
> Thus far, I've succeeded to make continuum start as a deamon on linux -
> ubuntu 8.04 to be precise.
> Apparently it runs as root that way.
you should issue a "su <someUser>" before running your daemon, in your
daemon script. Running snaphshot code and unit test as root user is most
certainly a very bad idea, unless you have very good backups and don't
mind reinstalling that computer several times a day when some developper
makes a mistake manipulating a File("/") in a unit test :)

Thanks for your reply, David.

I just puzzeled out how to start continuum als a deamon from the help
(outdated, since it describes the process for the previous version) on the
site, and that is where I got.
I know that running as root is probably not the best idea, but I'm happy
that the thing is running now. For now security isn't a concern yet.

Still, I appreciate the advice, and will act accordingly.

Rudy

--
David Delbecq
ICT