continuum-users mailing list archives

From <odd.vi...@dnbnor.no>
Subject SV: running n parallel Continuum installations
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:28:02 GMT
How about looking for subtasks that could be parallelized beneath the
build-task, i.e. compile, assembly, package, report generation, and
other Maven plugin tasks. These tasks will not have an impact on the
local repository, but are still resource-intensive (especially javadoc
generation) . Many of these are serial dependent within one build, but
compilation in x different projects, for instance, are not. This could
boost performance of building multiple projects, but would require some
synchronization between builds when it comes to install and dependeny
resolution. Well, this is maybe more a Maven thing, than Continuum.

By the way, the maven-compiler-plugin support a fork av a jvm, and this
will be executed in a thread of its own. Have anyone got experiences
with this and performance?

Most servers used today have multi-core cpus or even multiple cpus. If
you have 2 quad-core cpus, there is a potential of running 8 parallel
threads.

Odd

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: Emmanuel Venisse [mailto:emmanuel.venisse@gmail.com]
Sendt: 23. september 2008 13:39
Til: users@continuum.apache.org
Emne: Re: running n parallel Continuum installations

The potential issue with a single local repo with a parallel build is if
two build try to download or install the same artifact in it.
Emmanuel

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Lustig, Marc (Allianz Deutschland,
externer Mitarbeiter) <EXTERN.LUSTIG_MARC@allianz.de> wrote:

> Our project contains several hundred Maven-projects, which need to get

> tested and snaphots built using Continuum.
> My plan is to install a number of Continuum-webapps into a single
> JBoss AS-container, each one having its dedicated database.
> Anybody sees any potential issues in such scenario?
>
> (I read on the list that there is an issue related to accessing the
> local mvn-repo, but I don't understand what actually might cause any
> trouble
> here?!)

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that the DnB NOR Group
cannot accept any payment orders or other legally binding correspondence with
customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the anti virus programs used
in the DnB NOR Group.