continuum-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Olivier Lamy" <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuum queuing jobs but not performing builds
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 15:27:51 GMT
Cool.

Thanks for your testing time !
--
Olivier

2008/9/10 Peter Janes <peter_janes@tvworks.com>:
> Yes, it looks good.  Thanks!
>
> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> This should be fixed in trunk.
>> If you have some minutes to test it with database ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Olivier
>>
>> 2008/9/6 Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org>:
>>>
>>> 2008/9/5 Peter Janes <continuum.apache.org@peterjanes.ca>:
>>>>
>>>> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> When you say "After adding a set of projects" : do you stop and
>>>>> restart continuum with some projects in the queue (build or checkout
>>>>> queue) ?
>>>>
>>>> At the time the problem first appeared I hadn't restarted the server in
>>>> a
>>>> few months.  Since then I've restarted a few times, but I've tried to
>>>> ensure
>>>> that the queue is empty by cancelling any outstanding jobs.
>>>
>>> Ah ok it's an old database with probably a lot of buid result and
>>> probably a lot of ScmChangeSet (table SCMRESULT).
>>> I think I understand the trouble here.
>>> To upgrade continuum you have probably interrupt a build when
>>> shutdown/kill tomcat.
>>> If a build is interrupted brutally the endtime for this is 0.
>>> Continuum to report scm changes between two build search all scmresult
>>> between the endtime of the last and the endtime of the "old one" (the
>>> one before), [1]
>>> If this one has a end time of time of 0, this means all scmresult for
>>> your project will go in memory and for an old database this can be
>>> huge !!
>>> Because there is a contains call [2] which use the equals method of
>>> ScmChangeSet [3] which build in memory a lot String (all changed file)
>>> I think we have to reduce the number of ScmResult we build in memory
>>> here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Olivier
>>> [1]
>>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l348
>>> [2]
>>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l798
>>> [3]
>>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-model/src/main/mdo/continuum.xml?r=681492
>>>
>>>>> Are you sure about the rev you are using  691325 ? Can you have a look
>>>>> at the About Page ?
>>>>
>>>> I was using 662847, then upgraded to 691325 after my second attempt at
>>>> adding projects caused the CPU loop.
>>>>
>>>>> When I look at the dump, I see :
>>>>> at
>>>>>
>>>>> org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.getOldScmResult(DefaultBuildController.java:776)
>>>>>
>>>>> And line 776 [1] is a blank line.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Can you try with a 1.2 release candidate :
>>>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/continuum/1.2/
>>>>>
>>>>> As I see in the dump you are using tomcat, how do you install the war
>>>>> ? with a Context and docBase pointing to the builded war ?
>>>>> I have had some issues with this if I didn't clean the directory
>>>>> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/continuum
>>>>
>>>> I tried clearing the directory and got the same behaviour.  However, the
>>>> new
>>>> stack dump *is* different, pointing to line 798 instead. [2]  I'll keep
>>>> that
>>>> in mind when doing future upgrades.
>>>>
>>>>> BTW, I will try to reproduce this with changing manually the value in
>>>>> the database.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>> --
>>>>> Olivier
>>>>> [1]
>>>>>
>>>>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l776
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Peter J.
>>>>
>>>> [2]
>>>>
>>>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l798
>>>>
>>>>> 2008/9/5 Peter Janes <continuum.apache.org@peterjanes.ca>:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> After having this happen a third time I took a closer look at the
>>>>>> database
>>>>>> and saw that one of the entries in the BUILDRESULT table had an
>>>>>> END_TIME
>>>>>> of
>>>>>> 0.  When I changed that field to a current time and restarted the
>>>>>> server
>>>>>> Continuum started to work again.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I was able to reproduce the problem by setting the END_TIME of the
>>>>>> last
>>>>>> BUILDRESULT to 0, starting the server, and waiting for that project
to
>>>>>> be
>>>>>> queued.  It was resolved again when I reset END_TIME to its original
>>>>>> value.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I've reported this as http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1871
>>>>>> and
>>>>>> attached the thread dump.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks,
>>>>>> Peter J.
>>>>
>>>> [snip]
>>>> --
>>>> Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
>>>>  --J. Michael Straczynski
>>>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
>  --J. Michael Straczynski
>

Mime
View raw message