continuum-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Olivier Lamy" <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Continuum queuing jobs but not performing builds
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:27:22 GMT
Hi,
This should be fixed in trunk.
If you have some minutes to test it with database ?

Thanks,
--
Olivier

2008/9/6 Olivier Lamy <olamy@apache.org>:
> 2008/9/5 Peter Janes <continuum.apache.org@peterjanes.ca>:
>> Olivier Lamy wrote:
>>>
>>> When you say "After adding a set of projects" : do you stop and
>>> restart continuum with some projects in the queue (build or checkout
>>> queue) ?
>>
>> At the time the problem first appeared I hadn't restarted the server in a
>> few months.  Since then I've restarted a few times, but I've tried to ensure
>> that the queue is empty by cancelling any outstanding jobs.
>
> Ah ok it's an old database with probably a lot of buid result and
> probably a lot of ScmChangeSet (table SCMRESULT).
> I think I understand the trouble here.
> To upgrade continuum you have probably interrupt a build when
> shutdown/kill tomcat.
> If a build is interrupted brutally the endtime for this is 0.
> Continuum to report scm changes between two build search all scmresult
> between the endtime of the last and the endtime of the "old one" (the
> one before), [1]
> If this one has a end time of time of 0, this means all scmresult for
> your project will go in memory and for an old database this can be
> huge !!
> Because there is a contains call [2] which use the equals method of
> ScmChangeSet [3] which build in memory a lot String (all changed file)
> I think we have to reduce the number of ScmResult we build in memory here.
>
> --
> Olivier
> [1] http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l348
> [2] http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l798
> [3] http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-model/src/main/mdo/continuum.xml?r=681492
>
>>
>>> Are you sure about the rev you are using  691325 ? Can you have a look
>>> at the About Page ?
>>
>> I was using 662847, then upgraded to 691325 after my second attempt at
>> adding projects caused the CPU loop.
>>
>>> When I look at the dump, I see :
>>> at
>>> org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.getOldScmResult(DefaultBuildController.java:776)
>>>
>>> And line 776 [1] is a blank line.
>>>
>>>
>>> Can you try with a 1.2 release candidate :
>>> http://people.apache.org/builds/continuum/1.2/
>>>
>>> As I see in the dump you are using tomcat, how do you install the war
>>> ? with a Context and docBase pointing to the builded war ?
>>> I have had some issues with this if I didn't clean the directory
>>> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/continuum
>>
>> I tried clearing the directory and got the same behaviour.  However, the new
>> stack dump *is* different, pointing to line 798 instead. [2]  I'll keep that
>> in mind when doing future upgrades.
>>
>>> BTW, I will try to reproduce this with changing manually the value in
>>> the database.
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Olivier
>>> [1]
>>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l776
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter J.
>>
>> [2]
>> http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l798
>>
>>>
>>> 2008/9/5 Peter Janes <continuum.apache.org@peterjanes.ca>:
>>>>
>>>> After having this happen a third time I took a closer look at the
>>>> database
>>>> and saw that one of the entries in the BUILDRESULT table had an END_TIME
>>>> of
>>>> 0.  When I changed that field to a current time and restarted the server
>>>> Continuum started to work again.
>>>>
>>>> I was able to reproduce the problem by setting the END_TIME of the last
>>>> BUILDRESULT to 0, starting the server, and waiting for that project to be
>>>> queued.  It was resolved again when I reset END_TIME to its original
>>>> value.
>>>>
>>>> I've reported this as http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1871 and
>>>> attached the thread dump.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks,
>>>> Peter J.
>>
>> [snip]
>> --
>> Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
>>  --J. Michael Straczynski
>>
>

Mime
View raw message