continuum-users mailing list archives

From Peter Janes <continuum.apache....@peterjanes.ca>
Subject Re: Continuum queuing jobs but not performing builds
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2008 19:30:14 GMT
Olivier Lamy wrote:
> When you say "After adding a set of projects" : do you stop and
> restart continuum with some projects in the queue (build or checkout
> queue) ?

At the time the problem first appeared I hadn't restarted the server in a
few months.  Since then I've restarted a few times, but I've tried to ensure
that the queue is empty by cancelling any outstanding jobs.

> Are you sure about the rev you are using  691325 ? Can you have a look
> at the About Page ?

I was using 662847, then upgraded to 691325 after my second attempt at
adding projects caused the CPU loop.

 > When I look at the dump, I see :
 > at
org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.getOldScmResult(DefaultBuildController.java:776)

 > And line 776 [1] is a blank line.
 >
> Can you try with a 1.2 release candidate :
> http://people.apache.org/builds/continuum/1.2/
>
> As I see in the dump you are using tomcat, how do you install the war
> ? with a Context and docBase pointing to the builded war ?
> I have had some issues with this if I didn't clean the directory
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/continuum

I tried clearing the directory and got the same behaviour.  However, the new
stack dump *is* different, pointing to line 798 instead. [2]  I'll keep that
in mind when doing future upgrades.

> BTW, I will try to reproduce this with changing manually the value in
> the database.
>

> Thanks,
> --
> Olivier
> [1] http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l776

Thanks,
Peter J.

[2]
http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/continuum/trunk/continuum-core/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/continuum/buildcontroller/DefaultBuildController.java?r=691325#l798

> 2008/9/5 Peter Janes <continuum.apache.org@peterjanes.ca>:
>> After having this happen a third time I took a closer look at the database
>> and saw that one of the entries in the BUILDRESULT table had an END_TIME of
>> 0.  When I changed that field to a current time and restarted the server
>> Continuum started to work again.
>>
>> I was able to reproduce the problem by setting the END_TIME of the last
>> BUILDRESULT to 0, starting the server, and waiting for that project to be
>> queued.  It was resolved again when I reset END_TIME to its original value.
>>
>> I've reported this as http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1871 and
>> attached the thread dump.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Peter J.

[snip]
--
Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
   --J. Michael Straczynski