continuum-users mailing list archives

From Peter Janes <continuum.apache....@peterjanes.ca>
Subject Continuum queuing jobs but not performing builds
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2008 14:36:36 GMT
Since adding a set of projects to a Continuum 1.2 instance last Thursday,
the server has stopped performing any builds on any projects.  The server
had performed hundreds of builds without issue over a period of several months.

The initial problem that appeared was that projects would be queued but
never started; as soon as the first job entered the queue Continuum would
start using 100% CPU and never start building anything.  Even when I removed
all of the projects from the queue it remained at 100% CPU.  Restarting the
server didn't help: as soon as a job was queued the CPU would spike and no
further progress would be made.

Thinking that somehow the (MySQL) database might be corrupt, I removed it
and started fresh.  I added the projects that appeared to cause the problem
and they built successfully, so I started re-adding the rest of the
projects.  Unfortunately, at some point while I was doing this builds
stopped being executed again: this time they get queued up and are
apparently started, but I don't see any build processes being invoked.  Even
the simplest pom-only job times out.  The timeouts are shown in the
Continuum log but aren't being recorded in the database as failures or
errors, and restarting doesn't make a difference, which suggests to me that
perhaps the database has been corrupted again.

I don't see anything in Jira or the list archives; has anyone seen
behaviours like this?  More importantly, has anyone been able to solve them?

Environment: RHEL 5, Continuum 1.2 (built in May), Java 1.6.0_03, MySQL
5.0.45, Maven 2.0.9

Peter J.
--
Sometimes the Universe needs a change of perspective.
   --J. Michael Straczynski