continuum-users mailing list archives

From simon <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject data-management-cli-1.1-app throws NullPointerException in downloadArtifact
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:38:20 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to do an upgrade of an existing continuum installation (for
apache myfaces). This is solaris on x86 with java 1.5.0_16. The old
version is 1.1-beta-2, the new version is 1.1 (final release).

I've successfully exported the data from the old version (after shutting
it down).

I've also installed and started the new version, then stopped it again.

But when I try to import data into the new instance I get a very weird
error:

-bash-3.00$ java -Xmx512m -jar data-management-cli-1.1-app.jar
-usersJdbcUrl jdbc:derby:/local/continuum-1.1/data/users/database -mode
IMPORT -directory backups -debug

0 [main] INFO org.apache.maven.continuum.management.DataManagementCli  -
Processing Redback database...
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.management.DataManagementCli.downloadArtifact(DataManagementCli.java:364)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.management.DataManagementCli.processDatabase(DataManagementCli.java:198)
        at
org.apache.maven.continuum.management.DataManagementCli.main(DataManagementCli.java:177)

Using -debug flag gives no extra info.

Can someone suggest what might be the problem? The maven stuff seems to
be ok; I can run "mvn help:effective-pom" and "mvn help:active-profiles"
and get what I expect (including a mapping to the Sun maven repo for the
j2ee jars that this app seems to need).

Testing trivial export/import from fresh continuum installation on my
personal PC works fine. So it's either a problem with the exported data
somehow, or a problem with the environment. The error message seems to
indicate a problem with maven or maven repo setup, but I don't have any
idea what it could be...

Some other notes:
*  The instructions here don't quite work for me
  http://continuum.apache.org/docs/1.1/installation/upgrade.html

Exporting the builds data goes fine. But then when exporting the user
data, an error message about "directory already exists" is shown. Trying
to use a different dir for user export data gives an error message about
"keys missing". Specifying the same output dir as for builds data, plus
"-overwrite" does work.

Is using "-overwrite" the correct thing to do? If so, then updating the
installation instructions would be really helpful.

What if I want to export just user data - how can that be done?

* Needing to download sun jars when the management app was started feels
rather odd to me. Adding the sun maven repo to my settings.xml solves
it. However if it is possible to avoid this in future, that might be
nice.

Thanks in advance,
Simon