continuum-users mailing list archives

From "MATHUS Baptiste" <mathu...@mipih.fr>
Subject RE : deploy without install
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:32:22 GMT

-------- Message d'origine--------
> De: Wendy Smoak [mailto:wsmoak@gmail.com]
> Date: ven. 14/03/2008 18:49
> À: users@continuum.apache.org
> Objet : Re: deploy without install
>
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 7:21 AM, MATHUS Baptiste <mathus.b@mipih.fr> wrote:
>
> >  I noticed the .m2/repository directory of the maven binaries used by the
> >  continuum server is also receiving the artifacts that are deployed.
> >  From my understanding, this is because a mvn clean deploy will also do
> >  an install.
> >  So I'd like to be able to prevent mvn deploy from including a mvn
> >  install? Is this possible at all?
>
> No, because the install phase precedes the deploy phase in the Maven
> lifecycle.  http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-lifecycle.html
>
> We recently added a feature to the _deploy_ plugin to skip deployment
> [1], but it sounds like you *do* want it available in Archiva?
> Perhaps a similar 'skip' feature for the install plugin could work,
> but I have a feeling that would break things...

You're right. Actually, I want that deployment to happen.

> The answer seems to be a general tool to purge snapshots from the
> local Maven repo, something that is not Continuum related.

IMO, the tool wouldn't need to be continuum related, but it would be one of the first target
to use such a tool.
In fact, if you own both a continuum and a maven proxy/repo (like archiva for example), you
want continuum builds to be deployed to archiva, but you don't care about the local repo of
that continuum server (especially if only continuum runs in this environment).

> See also:  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-1693

That is EXACTLY our problem. I should have searched continuum JIRA before. I started looking
into it because I realized we were running out of disk space because there was a directory
on war snapshot that was almost 4GB :) (scheduler runs every 15 minutes and there's a lot
of commit, so this disk space could be something made in only some days...).
Maybe other people on this list are interested in this problem.

As I said above, I agree this is a task that's not directly related to continuum. But this
is something a lot of people are likely to encounter on the local repository of their continuum
server.

So I see the following solution:
* write a plugin to delete old snapshots (or convert this maven1.x plugin draft: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPREPO-1)
* use a clean way in continuum to call such a task. Obviously this could already be done with
a fake project, but this might be better to do it as a real "cleaning" feature.

What do you think?

Thanks again for this wonderful software suite guys.

Cheers
--
Baptiste