continuum-users mailing list archives

From Christian Edward Gruber <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject Re: Problem to use 2 projects (trunk and branch) in the same continuum
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:12:18 GMT
Typically, one would have branches have a different version.  For
example, trunk would be on 2.0-SNAPSHOT, but the 1.x branch would be
on 1.2-SNAPSHOT.  A lot of this depends on one's branching strategy.
If you use branches for teams or experimental features, then I would
build a branch portion into your versions.  A short code at the
beginning of the branch version.

1.0-SNAPSHOT (trunk)
1.0-TEAM1-SNAPSHOT
1.0-TEAM2-SNAPSHOT

or

1.0-SNAPSHOT (trunk)
TEAM1-1.0-SNAPSHOT
TEAM2-1.0-SNAPSHOT

The above is a problematic strategy for branching, but it is used, and
this way you have everything nicely separated.  At some points, where
we had non-version-oriented branching (experimental branches) we had a
property set in the active parent (the one that all things got their
versions from) that defined the version for itself and all children.

<project>
    <version>${providedversion}</version>
    <properties>
       <providedversion>1.0-SNAPSHOT</providedversion>
    </properties>
</project>

and then we changed it into <providedversion>EXP-BLAH-1.0-SNAPSHOT</
providedversion> for the experimental work that didn't follow our
"branch for maintenance" strategy.

Christian.