continuum-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Venisse <emman...@venisse.net>
Subject Re: Multiple scheduled builds on the same project...
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:51:41 GMT

Antonín Faltýnek a écrit :
> Dne středa 31. října 2007 Eric D. Nielsen napsal(a):
>> I'm a little confused over how multiple build definitiions on different
>> schedules interact within a project.  After reading several threads
>> it looks like my understand was correct, yet my installation doesn't
>> seem to behave as expected.
>>
>> I have three schedules set up:
>> Hourly
>> Every four hours
>> Nightly
>>
>> I have four build definitions
>> Hourly: clean test
>> Every four hours: clean integration-test
>> Nightly: clean install
>> Nightly: clean site site:deploy
>>
>> When a SVN commit occurs, the next hourly build shows that it detects
>> the
>> changes and builds.  The nightly and four-hourly builds don't seem to
>> respond.
>> I thought that each schedule had its own "dirty" checker for SCM, so
>> that the fact
>> that their were no changes since the hourly build shouldn't stop
>> these other schedules
>> from running.  However when I looked in the continuum working
>> directly, I see only a
>> single checked out project directory, so I wouldn't expect it to
>> think that the project
>> needs to be built....
>>
>> So my questions are
>>
>> a) should the different builds function independently of each others
>> "updated-ness"
>>
>> b) if yes, where should I look to debug this?
>> c) if no, what's the correct configuration to establish my desired
>> build schedules?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Eric
>
> I had same issues Eric with version 1.0.3, then we upgraded to 1.1b3, which
> enables configuration, that specific build definition should be
> performed "ALWAYS", and that should be used "CVS CO" instead of "CVS UPDATE".

With the latest 1.1 beta (1.1-beta-4), you don't need to run a clean build with a checkout.
All build definitions are independant and found all changes from other builds since last execution
even if the update return nothing.

> These two features can help you.
>
> Also there is issue, that if you have several build definitions (as in your
> example), then if your "nightly clean install" fail, but "nightly site
> site:deploy" performs successfully, you will se green "success" icon in
> project list and you have not good view on project state until you check
> build results.

We'll try to find a solution for this in 1.2, but your 2 nightly builddef "clean install"
+ "site site:deploy" can be rewrite with one builddef "clean install site-deploy"

Emmanuel