continuum-users mailing list archives

From Eric D Nielsen <niels...@MIT.EDU>
Subject Re: Multiple scheduled builds on the same project...
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:08:58 GMT
>> I'm almost tempted to add the project multiple times to the project group,
>> but I'm not sure how "legit" that would be.  Ie if I could add the project
>> times.
>>   Instance A: With the Unit/Integration Test builds
>>   Instance B: Nightly Builds
>>   Instance C: Site Builds
>>
>> Of course there's no way of giving a project an alias, or alternate
>> description from whats in the POM, so that would get confusing fast.
>> On the upside, it would also separate the nearly always successful site
>> builds from masking a failed nightly build.
>>
>> I could do the same with three different project groups... all containing the
>> same project...  Are any of these options more normal for people's continuum
>> configurations?
>
> I don't recommend to add more than one instance of a project (same
> groupId/artifactId/version) because it can generate some weird result
> like wrong ordering or wrong dependencies check result.

OK, thanks for that advice.  I've installed the new beta.  (Didn't bother
exporting/inporting since its such a new installation.)

Tried configuring four project groups
Test Builds
      hourly: clean test
      quad-hourly: clean integration-test
Nightly Builds
      nightly: clean install
Release Builds
      Never: clean install (manual trigger only)
         (cron expression with year in the past)
Site Builds
      nightly: clean site site:deploy

Each group currently has one project in it (the same project in each group.)

I liked the way it made the Show Project Gruops get to a more dashboard like
utility.  However it didn't work (probably what you mentioned in your note...
2007-10-31 16:00:01,039 [defaultScheduler_Worker-8] WARN
org.apache.maven.continuum.Continuum:default  - Project
'<groupId:artifactid:version>' is duplicated in the reactor 2

So now I'll go back to trying to put all four build definitions within one
project group with a single project....  But then we're back to successful site
builds masking potentially failing test/nightly builds

Eric