continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Eric Roberts" <Eric.Robe...@borland.com>
Subject RE: Performance issues with multiple continuum instances on single server
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:06:13 GMT
Anyone have any suggestions?

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Roberts [mailto:Eric.Roberts@borland.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:00 PM
To: continuum-users@maven.apache.org
Subject: Performance issues with multiple continuum instances on single
server

I am currently running 2 instances of continuum as windows services on a
single Windows 2003 server (running as a VMware virtual machine).  The
first instance was installed about 6 months ago and has run pretty well.
I just installed a second instance and have noticed a problem with its
performance and availability.  When a build is running on the first
instance, this generally causes the second instance to become
unresponsive almost every time (i.e. I get a 404 not found message when
I try to access it in my browser).  The service will eventually come
back on its own after a few minutes but If I look in the wrapper.log I
see messages like the following

ERROR  | wrapper  | 2007/08/09 09:27:50 | JVM appears hung: Timed out
waiting for signal from JVM.
ERROR  | wrapper  | 2007/08/09 09:27:50 | JVM did not exit on request,
terminated STATUS | wrapper  | 2007/08/09 09:27:55 | Launching a JVM...
INFO   | jvm 5    | 2007/08/09 09:27:57 | Wrapper (Version 3.1.2)
http://wrapper.tanukisoftware.org

Another issue that has been occurring on the second server is that
builds often run indefinitely.  It's almost as if the build process has
died somehow but continuum never noticed so the clock just keeps
ticking.  I am able to clean these builds up directly in the database
but I can't figure out why it keeps happening.

A little background about the environment.  I have set up all projects
in both continuum instances as shell projects but the builds themselves
use Maven 2.  We were unable to get the Maven 2.0 project type to work
correctly and the shell project type worked so we went with it.  The
maven build is executing some python scripts which are used to process
and transform XML documentation using XSLT (a little convoluted I know
but I inherited it).  The transformation is done using the Java Saxon
library which tends to require a lot of memory and CPU.  I have a strong
hunch that both of my issues are somehow interrelated but am not sure
where to start.

Java 1.5.0_10
Maven 2.0.4
Python 2.4.1
Saxon 6.5.5
Windows 2003 server running as a VMWare virtual machine on Intel Xeon
3GHz CPU w/ 3.75G RAM

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated,

Eric