continuum-users mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How to import all modules of Maven 2 project
Date Sat, 18 Aug 2007 22:13:22 GMT
Wendy Smoak pisze:
> On 8/18/07, Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakowski@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I noticed that Continuum can do a mass import of modules by scanning recursively
pom files. That's
>> really nice feature! However, I found limitation that is quite annoying for me: I
can't tell
>> Continuum to use other than default Maven profile while scanning for modules. In
our pom[2] we have
>> defined most modules in allblocks profile so I can't add them automatically. Since
number of modules
>> is around 230 adding them manually is not an option.
>>
>> Can you give some advice?
>
> My preference is to make the default setup build everything, (with
> activeByDefault or activation based on the absence of a property) and
> then rely on the other profiles to build smaller subsets.

We gradually move modules into default build so situation improves but I fear such a radical
change
is not an option for us, now.

> My first (pre-caffeine) idea for a workaround is to define a minimal
> ci-pom.xml and list all the modules.  When you add the project to
> Continuum, specify that pom, but let the build definition use the
> normal pom.xml. [untested]

That does not solve our problem because our root pom looks like this:
  <modules>
     <module>blocks</module>
     <module>commons</module>
     <module>core</module>
     <module>tools</module>
     <module>dists</module>
     <!-- sub projects -->
     <module>core/cocoon-configuration/cocoon-configuration-api</module>
     <module>core/cocoon-configuration/cocoon-spring-configurator</module>
     <module>core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-components</module>
     <module>core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-impl</module>
     <module>core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-sample</module>
   </modules>

The rest is defined in other poms, so I would have to create recursively ci-pom.xml files
or create
one big, aggregated ci-pom.xml files. Second option is not perfect because it still involves

recursive, manual scanning. With help of little scripting I could build some bash script but
I would
really like to avoid doing this.

> Emm has also written about the XML-RPC interface, which might be
> useful to get these projects added:
> http://www.devzuz.org/blogs/evenisse/2007/08/15/1187191589861.html

This involves writing custom Java app which is even worse IMO.

I'm wondering if adding support for Maven profiles to Continuum would be that hard?

Thanks for answer.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski