continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Jesse McConnell" <jesse.mcconn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 release process in Continuum
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:15:21 GMT
ah, I basically see what your problem is...

that is what the whole SNAPSHOT concept addresses...

where you are saying a project would only care about 1.2.3 and not the
build numbers..that is functionally saying that its really only caring
about 1.2.3-SNAPSHOT.  you can't just say 1.2.3 since that is a
_release_ version...so setting 1.2.3 as a version of a dependency
means that in a repository you should have a version 1.2.3 that is
_released_...ie, ain't going to change _ever_.

by calling it a snapshot then it can be updated, and as the builds
your referring to would showup in the repository as timestamped
builds.  then when release times comes, your SNAPSHOTS need to be
resolved to actual released versions, the pom changed accordingly and
then release your goop.

maven is very focused on reproducible builds, and your build number
deal is just restating the problem that SNAPSHOT's already addresses.
there might be a minor difference here or there, but your basically
restating snapshots.

jesse

--
jesse mcconnell