continuum-users mailing list archives

From Arnaud Bailly <abai...@oqube.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 release process in Continuum
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:11:36 GMT
Hello,

"Johan Iskandar" <Johan.Iskandar@ag-it.com> writes:

> BUT, I wonder whether maven encourages an explicit declaration of
> version in the pom(just as the above assumption)? Please advise? Also
> why does it use SNAPSHOT instead of build version..(the letter z in my
> example)?

Yes, maven enforces an explicit declaration of version in a
POM. AFAICT, maven does not validate a POM which does not contain a
version number, so you cannot build it. Maven is rather agnostic about
version numbering schemes, but understand quit well x.y.x notation
that is used in version ranges for dependencies management.

SNAPSHOT is a special qualifier for version that says we are
building a (surprise !) snapshot development version of a piece of
software. Snapshots are handled differently from standard versions, in
that:
 - when you install/deploy a project labelled SNAPSHOT, the artifact
 is actually deployed with a build number and the repository is
 updated to reflect the latest snapshot
 - you can define different repositories for deploying/downloading
 artifacts.

HTH
--
OQube < software engineering \ génie logiciel >
Arnaud Bailly, Dr.