continuum-users mailing list archives

From "James Abley" <james.ab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Maven2 release process in Continuum
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:11:20 GMT
On 18/07/07, Jesse McConnell <jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> if you have one company pom...
>
> and 17 projects to release....and those 17 projects each use a
> snapshot version of the company pom..
>
> you currently need to checkout all 17 poms, edit the parent pom to a
> released version and check them in.  you have to do that using hte
> maven-release-plugin and you have to do that for continuum release as
> well.

That's the simplified version. Of course, there are dependencies
between the 17 in various forms.

What you have described is pretty much what I did for our last
release, using the maven-release plugin. It took me about a day. It
had one unexpected benefit, since it allowed me to get a clear sense
of the DAG in terms of dependencies in all of our modules. But I still
have the following concerns with a release taking that long:

1) There is potential for me to check in the release version, start
preparing the release and then someone else checks out the release
version and starts doing stuff to it, when they should really be
waiting until the next SNAPSHOT version has been checked in. I guess I
can use locking for that, but it's been a while since I used locking
with a SCM (been on CVS, SVN and Bazaar for a while - not used
SourceSafe in four years or so).
2) Kind of related to that - the need for some sort of development
freeze during that day. We don't want that.

Should it really be taking me a day to do a release of this scale or
am I doing something fundamentally wrong?

Cheers,

James

> if you have one company pom, and a project with 17 submodules (and
> this subprojects have no snapshot versions that are not in those 17/18
> modules being released) then you only need to update the one parent
> project pom to resolve the company pom to a released version and the
> release process will take care of resolving all internal snapshot
> version to the (soon to be released) version.
>
> does that help?
>
> On 7/18/07, James Abley <james.abley@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 18/07/07, Jesse McConnell <jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > at the moment I think you need to make sure the underlying project
> > > that you are going to try and release is 'clean' for the release.
> > > that means that all dependencies that you are going to release ave
> > > been resolved into released and available artifacts.
> >
> > Continuum is pulling stuff from our SCM prior to building it; your
> > suggestion implies to me that I need to check out POMs, alter them to
> > build a release form and check them back in. Then Continuum can be
> > used to prepare and perform a release, after which I need to checkout
> > the POMs and change any reference versions that I altered to the new
> > SNAPSHOT versions.
> >
> > Have I understood you correctly? It just feels more painful than it
> > ought to, when trying to release 17 top-level POMs. Surely other
> > people are doing this and can point out where I'm going wrong.
> >

> > > the continuum release mechanism makes use of the same release
> > > mechanism as the maven-release-plugin so if you interested in playing
> > > around with it I am a fan of just using the maven-release-plugin
> > > directly, personally.
> > >
> > > in your example to release your project and the core and webapp
> > > subprojects at once,  will basically need to release the company pom
> > > initially and then edit the project pom by hand and set the company
> > > parent pom to the released version.  Then check through your pom.xml's
> > > of the project and the two subprojects to locate and resolve any
> > > SNAPSHOT dependencies that are not the three you are immediately
> > > releasing.
> > >
> > > its really pretty straight forward once you get into the swing of it.
> >
> > Thanks for your response,
> >
> > James
> >

> > > jesse

<snip big stack trace/>