continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Brian E. Fox" <bri...@reply.infinity.nu>
Subject RE: default goal should maybe be "verify"
Date Tue, 17 Oct 2006 23:43:21 GMT
That's a good point. I always went with install because the source might
not match the deployed artifacts and fail. The point here is the failure
indicates a lack of deployment. Hrm....

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Donszelmann [mailto:Mark.Donszelmann@slac.stanford.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:46 PM
To: continuum-users@maven.apache.org
Cc: Mark.Donszelmann@slac.stanford.edu
Subject: default goal should maybe be "verify"

Hi

I was wondering why "clean verify" is not the default goal rather than
"clean install".
My reasoning is the following.

I would like any user to just do some:

svn co url
cd directory
mvn

without running into any dependency of a non-deployed artifact.

Continuum should check if this will work. Since continuum runs multiple
projects as a certain user it will by running "install" fill up the
user's local repository with artifacts of the projects that it checks.
If project A depends on B and B is installed in the local repository of
the continuum user, then project A cannot any longer be fully checked. A
problem will arrise if project B is not deployed. A will find it since B
was installed by continuum itself.

I would argue that stopping at the phase before install, "verify",
solves this problem as continuum will now check for all dependencies
being deployed (remote), including the projects it is checking itself.

Have the developers of continuum given this any thought?

Regards
Mark Donszelmann
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center