continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Kapil Gupta\(CT\)" <kagu...@quark.com>
Subject RE: Resolving Source code dependency among modules?
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:23:34 GMT
Hi Christian,

Sorry for replying late.

Yes, u guessed it right that source code of module B is a textual
alteration of source code of A. The module A contains local interfaces
and module B contains remote interfaces and remote implementation of my
APIs (Textual change is that all method throws RemoteException and my
business interface extends Remote interface).

The output of A is indeed a jar of class files which acts as dependency
for other modules.

I am not clear about your solution to zip the source code and install
them in local repository.
Can I put dependency on source code like we do for classes?
I was thinking of zipping the source code of module A in a predefined
directory under working directory and module B can later unzip and use
it to generate its own source code.

Regards,
Kapil

-----Original Message-----
From: Christian Gruber [mailto:cgruber@israfil.net]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 11:22 PM
To: continuum-users@maven.apache.org
Subject: RE: Resolving Source code dependency among modules?

I think I'm a little bit confused by "depends on the source of A".  Does
this mean you're using the source-code in A, and treating it like a
template, and doing textual alterations to it within B?  This would be a
very unusual situation.

My previous advice was predicated on the assumption that your compiled
code
from A would be the code-generation-tool (or something like that), and
that
the compiled classes could be used in B to do the code-generation in B.
I'm
confused.

What are the outputs of A.  Is there a .jar that comes out, or is it
just
.java files?  If it's the latter, you may wish to create a new plugin to
zip
up your outputs and install them into the repository, which would then
render them accessible to B.

I think we don't have a sufficiently clear context to properly advise
you,
as this is increasingly striking me as a unique project configuration -
and
I can't tell if it could be re-organized to a more standard build
approach,
or whether the current approach is a necessary thing that needs to be
accepted and integrated.

Regards,
Christian.

christian gruber + agile coach and architect
Israfil Consulting Services Corporation
email cgruber@israfil.net + bus +1 (905) 640-1119