continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Christian Gruber" <cgru...@israfil.net>
Subject RE: Resolving Source code dependency among modules?
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:31:10 GMT
Riffing off of Jesse's comments...

Since the lifecycle of a project is

generate-sources
compile
compile-tests
install

the whole notion is really to have generation of code for a module done
within the lifecycle build of that module.  One way you might be able to
approach your a->b->c generation approach (knowing nothing about the details
of your code, mind you) would be this.

Assuming A has code that can be used to generate sources for B,

Compile A, and install.

Define A as a compile-only dependency of B (right now there's no such thing
exactly, but you can use provided scope to wing-it)

Bind the generation capabilities of A to the generate-sources phase of
project B (possibly using the ant-run plug-in), to generate B's code within
the B lifecycle.  Then compile the resulting code in B's compile phase,
install, etc.

Define B as a compile-only dependency of C

Bind the generation capabilities of B to the generate-sources phase of
project C, to generate C's code within the C lifecycle.  Then compile the
resulting code in C's compile phase, install, etc.

Rinse and repeat.

Regards,
Christian.

christian gruber + agile coach and architect
Israfil Consulting Services Corporation
email cgruber@israfil.net + bus +1 (905) 640-1119