continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Barrie Treloar" <baerr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Password ignored when checking out using CVS with ext
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2006 00:22:03 GMT
On 7/11/06, Mike Lee <netmike99@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a similar problem as you described. I believe I had to do a "xhost +"
> command before I ssh'ed into the machine as root to start the Continuum
> server.

Err, xhost + is a very insecure solution to the problem.

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using continuum 1.0.3 on linux.
> >
> > The continuum server is run as root.

I'd create a continuum user and run as that, never run applications as root.
Continuum has no need for the privileges that root enjoys.

> > scm:cvs:ext:server:path:module
[del]
> > Error: Can't open display: :0.0
> > Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
> > Xlib: No protocol specified
> >
> > openssh tries to ask for the password in a popup which fails.
[del]
> > When I run continuum as a user which owns the display the popup appears,
> > I can type in the password and continuum continues its work successfully.
> >
> > How can I configure continuum (or openssh) to take the password provided
> > in the web interface?

Continuum runs maven no differently than if you ran mvn on the command line.

You should get mvn to work as the continuum user in batch-mode so that
no popups occur and it works correctly from the command line. Until
this happens there is no point setting up continuum.

This may require configuring the key files in ~continuum/.ssh to not
have a passphrase.
It may also require your to have run the cvs login command by hand to
create the ~/.cvspass file with a password included.

Having no passphrase and storing keys in .cvspass are not ideal
security choices but they rely on linux filesystem permissions which
is pretty reasonable.  It is much better than running continuum as
root or using xhost +.