continuum-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Venisse <emman...@venisse.net>
Subject Re: Ladies and Gents...does Continuum actually work?
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 12:52:35 GMT
Please don't post your message on more than one list.

Jeff Mutonho a écrit :
> Question 1
> =========
> Does continuum actually work with Maven 2?

Yes, it works fine and it is used by lot of user.

> [...]

> /MyCompanyEportal/eportal-services/pom.xml (build config for
> eportal-services)
> /MyCompanyEportal/eportal-messaging/pom.xml (build config for
> eportal-messages)
> /MyCompanyEportal/eportal-web/pom.xml (build config for eportal-web)
>
> I even made the location of continuum's working directory the same as
> the location of my super pom (pom.xml defines the
> modules that need to be built.The modules are defined as follows:
>
>   <module>eportal-services</module>
>   <module>eportal-messaging</module>
>   <module>eportal-messaging-support</module>
>   <module>eportal-webservices</module>
>   <module>eportal</module>
>
> Each module has its own pom.xml .When I point continuum to my top
> level pom.xml  it adds all my modules as projects.My top level
> project(the one with the super pom) is also listed amongst the added
> projects as shown below :
>
> Mycompany ePortal
> ePortal Messaging
> ePortal Messaging Support
> ePortal Services
> ePortal Web Application
> ePortal Webservices
>

> "Mycompany ePortal"  is the top level project with the pom that
> defines he modules(listed above).The pom.xml in "Mycompany ePortal"
> does not have a <build> section...just dependencies , e-mail addresses
> , etc.
> I'm getting a build errors e-mails for each module saying  saying :

> Build Error:
>
> org.apache.maven.continuum.execution.ContinuumBuildExecutorException:
> Could not find Maven project descriptor.
>     at
> org.apache.maven.continuum.execution.maven.m2.MavenTwoBuildExecutor.updateProjectFromCheckOut(MavenTwoBuildExecutor.java:108)

>     at
> org.apache.maven.continuum.core.action.UpdateProjectFromWorkingDirectoryContinuumAction.execute(UpdateProjectFromWorkingDirectoryContinuumAction.java:64)

>     at
> org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.DefaultBuildController.build(DefaultBuildController.java:273)

>     at
> org.apache.maven.continuum.buildcontroller.BuildProjectTaskExecutor.executeTask(BuildProjectTaskExecutor.java:47)

>     at
> org.codehaus.plexus.taskqueue.execution.ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor$ExecutorRunnable.run(ThreadedTaskQueueExecutor.java:103)

> All I want is for Contiuum to work the same way M2 works when I type
> "mvn install"  ...i.e realize that I have modules and these modules
> need to be built!How hard can this be?
> Isn't continuum suppose to use the pom.xml I supplied when adding
> projects as the top level pom?My project structure looks like as
> follows:
>
> /MyCompanyEportal/pom.xml ) , but still "Could not find Maven project
> descriptor." keeps popping in my e-mail.I have  removed the
> non-recursive argument on all the projects as they appear in

Perhaps your scm url (scm:cvs:pserver:mutonj:mutonj@165.148.216.14:/var/lib/cvsroot:dev )
is wrong.
Are you sure it isn't
scm:cvs:pserver:mutonj:mutonj@165.148.216.14:/var/lib/cvsroot:dev/MyCompanyPortal ?

> Question 2
> ========
>
> My top level pom defines the following modules :
>
> <modules>
>   <module>eportal-services</module>
>   <module>eportal-messaging</module>
>   <module>eportal-messaging-support</module>
>   <module>eportal-webservices</module>
>   <module>eportal</module>
> </modules>
>
> Besides the failed build i mentioned in my previous post ,Continuum is
> checking these out of CVS into a one directory , eg  50 , then it
> creates other directories namely 51( containing only  module
> eportal-services) , 52 ( containing only module eportal-messaging)
> ,53(containing only module eportal-messaging-support) ,etc
>
> Why is this happening?

Already answered in previous mail.

> Question 3
> ========
> Should I just dump Continuum and use Cruisecontrol instead?I didnt
> experience this much grief with Cruisecontrol , back in the Maven 1
> days!

Continuum works fine with maven2, maven1, ant and shell project, and it is more easy to configure

and to use (it's my opinion :-) )

> Question 3
> ========
> Am daft?Do I just not get it?Why is the continuum documentation so poor?

Continuum is an open source project. If you consider the documentation is poor, you can contribute

to it and provide some patches.

Emmanuel