continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Chris Wall" <cw...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Subversion post-commit hook
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:41:33 GMT
For us, it's more the latter - efficient use of the server.  We don't
mind if multiple check-ins are built at the same time.  Ideally
Continuum builds are executed only when requested.  That enables the
server on which Continuum runs to focus on other functions.

A side bonus of a trigger mechanism is that developers don't have to
wait a specified time interval + build time to validate their change.

-Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com [mailto:Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com]
Sent: June 08, 2006 2:03 PM
To: continuum-users@maven.apache.org; continuum-users@maven.apache.org
Subject: RE: Subversion post-commit hook

I know I'd find this useful as well, for several reasons:
-If you simply let continuum build every 5 mins, there could potentially
be more than 1 commit during that time, and you would be building
multiple revisions worth of changes. Ideally, you would want to build
once/revision so if the build breaks, you know which commit broke it.
-The continuum server would not be making as many hits to the svn
server. If you're building dozens and dozens of projects, this adds up
when it's once every 5 mins.

If you got rather fancy, it would sure be nice to have the commit check
if there were new projects added, and automagically add them to
continuum as well.