continuum-users mailing list archives

From "Carlos Sanchez" <car...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Subversion post-commit hook
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:14:59 GMT
On 6/13/06, Baron Reznik <Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 18:28 +0200, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> > On 6/8/06, Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com <Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com> wrote:
> > > I know I'd find this useful as well, for several reasons:
> > > -If you simply let continuum build every 5 mins, there could potentially be
more than 1 commit during that time, and you would be building multiple revisions worth of
changes. Ideally, you would want to build once/revision so if the build breaks, you know which
commit broke it.

> > You are not considering here the time that it takes to build the project.
> > a commits
> > continuum starts building
> > b commits
> > continuum can't start building, busy
> > c commits
> > continuum can't start building, busy
> > continuum finishes building
> > continuum starts building b and c changes
> >

> ^^^ That's exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes it will build 1
> revision, and other times 2 or more revisions could be mixed into one
> build. I'd like to avoid that.

You can't avoid this with a post commit hook

> > > -The continuum server would not be making as many hits to the svn server. If
you're building dozens and dozens of projects, this adds up when it's once every 5 mins.

> > I don't realy know what is the overhead of getting the revision number
> > to check for changes but shouldn't be heavy at all
> >

> I don't know how you verify this, but I got the impression that
> continuum was performing a 'svn update' (for subversion, anyways),
> which, could be rather heavy depending on how your repository is laid
> out. I'm not sure offhand if subversion provides a more efficient way
> though.

svn info gives you the local revision
svn info URL gives you the remote one

conitnuum may be improved to use this instead of a checkout if it does
not currently

> > > If you got rather fancy, it would sure be nice to have the commit check if
there were new projects added, and automagically add them to continuum as well.