continuum-users mailing list archives

From Baron Reznik <Baron.Rez...@fastmobile.com>
Subject Re: Subversion post-commit hook
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:08:23 GMT
On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 18:28 +0200, Carlos Sanchez wrote:
> On 6/8/06, Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com <Baron.Reznik@fastmobile.com> wrote:
> > I know I'd find this useful as well, for several reasons:
> > -If you simply let continuum build every 5 mins, there could potentially be more
than 1 commit during that time, and you would be building multiple revisions worth of changes.
Ideally, you would want to build once/revision so if the build breaks, you know which commit
broke it.

> You are not considering here the time that it takes to build the project.
> a commits
> continuum starts building
> b commits
> continuum can't start building, busy
> c commits
> continuum can't start building, busy
> continuum finishes building
> continuum starts building b and c changes

^^^ That's exactly what I'm talking about. Sometimes it will build 1
revision, and other times 2 or more revisions could be mixed into one
build. I'd like to avoid that.

> > -The continuum server would not be making as many hits to the svn server. If you're
building dozens and dozens of projects, this adds up when it's once every 5 mins.

> I don't realy know what is the overhead of getting the revision number
> to check for changes but shouldn't be heavy at all

I don't know how you verify this, but I got the impression that
continuum was performing a 'svn update' (for subversion, anyways),
which, could be rather heavy depending on how your repository is laid
out. I'm not sure offhand if subversion provides a more efficient way
though.

> > If you got rather fancy, it would sure be nice to have the commit check if there
were new projects added, and automagically add them to continuum as well.