continuum-users mailing list archives

From "John Didion" <John.Did...@loudeye.com>
Subject Continuum hangs when building a Maven project that spawns a process
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 02:31:17 GMT
We have a project that spawns a process (via Runtime.exec) that is
intended to live beyond the duration of the build. When Continuum builds
this project, the status is always "in progress".

The problem seems to be that the stream pumper that redirects the output
from maven hangs on in.readLine(), where in is a reader that wraps the
maven process' input stream. Apparently, the process' input stream never
closes (even though the jvm running maven exits after the build
completes) and the input stream's read method is blocking. If I manually
kill the process spawned by maven, then the input stream closes and the
build completes.

The interesting this is that if I write a simple java class to invoke
maven via Runtime.exec (in the same manner that continuum does via
plexus' Commandline class) and then call this from the command line,
everything works fine. We were also doing this exact same thing in an
ant build.xml via CruiseControl, and it worked fine.

My hunch is that it has something to do with the wrapper program that is
used to invoke continuum.

Continuum's process chain looks like this: wrapper->continuum
jvm->maven->longrunningprocess

CruiseControl's process chain looks like this: cruise control jvm->build
loop thread->ant->longrunningprocess

Does anyone have any idea why this would be, and, more importantly, how
I can work around it?