continuum-users mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Venisse <emman...@venisse.net>
Subject Re: FW: Webapps, xdoclet and Continuum
Date Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:10:50 GMT
comments in lines

Bravo, Kris a écrit :
> Even if I call webdoclet on the project-library project, I still cannot push
> it to project-webapp to use. So it sounds like I have to abandon the
> practice of packing classes in a webapp into a jar library first. Or abandon
> the web.xml & struts.xml generation.
>
> So although this particular scenario doesn't show an example of the reverse
> issue, I'd like to bring up another to demonstrate a show-stopper for using
> continuum with sub-projects:
>
> Let's suppose you have a maven plugin which javadocs subprojects source code
> in one lump. Since Maven's model is to break up an effort into projects by
> deployment artifact, this plugin must be called from the parent project:
>
> Project-parent
> - javadoc-maven-plugin
> --project-commons-library
> --project-webapp
> --project-ejb
> --project-ear
> --project-client
>
> This allows the plugin to traverse each subproject's source directory and
> examine the code.
>
> So if "../project-library/src/main/java" is bad, I bet
> "project-*/src/main/java" is bad as well...
>
> And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems the only path for building this
> type of project, where projects and subprojects are tied together, is by
> executing a script.

yes, the script can be mvn.bat with arguments "clean:clean install" like you do it from command
line
in your development environment.

> Having never looked at the continuum codebase, how difficult would it be to
> support an m2 build of type pom and flag it to include subprojects in the
> single build instead of dividing them out as separate entries? Something
> like this:
>
>    -Specify the location of the pom.xml: {url}
>    -Check here to include subprojects in a single build: [x]

It isn't difficult, only no implemented. File an issue and we'll look at it.

> And the same question applies to an m2 project and adding the option of
> checking out a more shallow root:
>    -Specify the location of the pom.xml: {url}
>    -Specify the checkout root: {url - project directory }

In 1.0.2, you'll can specify subdirectory1/subdirectory2/.../pom.xml in build definition

> "Yes, it's generally what other users do, but i prefer another lib too, if
> code is reusable in an
> other project."
>
>   Exactly, and for a webapp I can cite the log4j initialization servlet as
> an example.

ok, so for webdoclet, you need log4j initialization servlet source checkouted with all your
web
projects, right?