continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using git
Date Tue, 20 May 2014 01:37:01 GMT

On 20 May 2014, at 1:17 am, Brent Atkinson <brent.atkinson@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is encouraging. I am happy to do this myself if people find it
> valuable. The project is already converted to git as you said. However, how
> site publishing and the parent pom fit into this is not clear to me. Not
> knowing the ins and outs of the Apache-specific processes like svn pubsub
> and how and when parent poms are staged (just for example), it is not clear
> what effect if any moving to git would have.

Really no effect there - svnpubsub is still used for the site publish, but it's a checkout
from a separate SVN repo. Likewise, the parent POM is published to an artifact repository,
so that's the same.

Whether the site & parent POM get moved to Git or left in SVN is something to decide.
I'd suggest just starting with the main trunk and approach the others later if needed. For
example, we might later decide to use the Apache CMS for the site instead of a Maven project,
and in that case the parent POM probably isn't needed.

> I am more than happy to figure
> it out, though I may need help identifying the most relevant channels to do
> it.

I think the steps are:
- hold a vote here
- if passed, ask infra to convert the repository and coordinate with the list
- once done, go through the POMs, developer and contributor documentation and make sure repository
references point to the new location

As always, I'm happy to help - I just don't have cycles to drive that at the moment.

Cheers,
Brett