continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Atkinson <brent.atkin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems with Continuum making it useless (Dev only)
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2013 00:45:54 GMT
Thanks murali, I'll see if I can dig up what root issue might be and update
the issue.

IMO Continuum's shell and ant support seems a little bizarre because the
concepts in the application, projects and project groups, were taken
directly taken from Maven's concept of groupId (group) and
groupId+artifactId (project). The concepts aren't clear to someone not
versed in Maven and the implementation seems directed to the Maven concepts
anyway. I also noticed that the ant support was a bit broken a while back
depending on how you added projects. It seemed so broken that I couldn't
imagine anyone using them.

I am wondering, would it be better to prune and cultivate what people are
using than to drag along vestigial limbs?

As for interest, thanks Louis for speaking up. I believe that there is
still room for a product that directly addresses CI for Maven projects. I
use both Continuum and Jenkins, and I still like the simplicity of being
able to add projects via poms, manage things through the pom, etc. Not all
projects can operate within the conventions, so the audience may be smaller
than other CI tools from the start, but I think not trying to solve
everything might actually sanitize (both clean and sane) things.
Personally, I think it would be great to do in things like push-button
branching using release:branch (with version conventions like maintenance
branches, release branches, etc.) and have the branched build added for you.

To your earlier point murali, if the tool seems like it is offering a
solution and doesn't work properly, it doesn't inspire confidence. I can
say from direct experience that Continuum actually does work well for
conventional Maven builds and if the others aren't a focus and are broken,
why keep fooling ourselves and users?

Brent

On Mar 1, 2013 9:54 AM, "murali mohan" <muralihere@gmail.com> wrote:

> Created a new JIRA issue at http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/CONTINUUM-2704
>
> I have done a little analysis and posted as comment. Please guide me on how
> to proceed and I will try when I get time.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM, Louis Smith <dr.louis.smith@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > I have continuum installed at several clients - one of whom runs over 100
> > java projects and 20 Oracle Forms projects with it.  We have upgraded to
> > the 1.4.x release and have had nothing but success with it - so count me
> > and my clients as "interested".
> >
> > Louis
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:52 AM, murali mohan <muralihere@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > As an immediate solution, I will have to look at other options, I
> guess.
> > >
> > > To solve these, I will try to help. But are people interested in this
> > > project?
> > >

> -Murali
> > >
> > > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 5:53 PM, Brent Atkinson <batkinson@apache.org

> relative