continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to use installations in their config file
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:25:17 GMT
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Marc Jansen Chua <chuable82@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Brett,
>
> Assuming that individual configuration of installation for build agents is supported.

There is no requirement that all build agents in a group be identical.

> Build Agents are grouped into Build Agent Groups, and Build Agent Groups together with
a set of Installations are grouped into Build Environments, so if in the case of an environmental
variable "HOME" that both the build agent & the build environment have but with different
values(i.e. build agent's config of HOME=/home/dummy, build environment's config of HOME=/home/dummy2)
shows that installation duplicate is possible. My implementation would be that the build agent's
installation would override the collision of installation of the build environment. Therefore
when building, that single build agent would be using HOME=/home/dummy, for other build agents
that have no collision with the build environment's installation, they will be using HOME=/home/dummy2
when building.

I can't find it at the moment, but I thought Brett had a JIRA issue
open about not passing values (for things like directory paths) from
the master to the agent, but instead just passing a key and letting
the agent have its own value.

For example, there's no way a Master running on Linux should be
passing the value of its home directory down to an agent that may be
running on Windows.  (And iirc Brett thought it was a security issue
to be passing a directory path in the first place.)

--
Wendy