continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: proposal to add platform field in the model used for build agents for continuum master
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:31:41 GMT
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 7:56 AM, Mark John Kennedy Magallanes
<mmagallanes@g2ix.net> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion sir brett, With that you mean the build agent would have a
web service method
> to know its OS name so that when a build agent is added it would try to connect to
> it's web service to know it's operating system.  In addition I think it we could already
get it's
> enabled state too so the user will no longer have tell weather its enabled or not.

The enabled checkbox allows you to take an agent out of service
without deleting it from the master or just shutting it down with no
warning.

I'm not opposed to removing it (it does simplify matters) but it's a
change in behavior that needs to be considered.  I'm in the habit of
disabling an agent, watching the logs to make sure it finished the
last thing it was asked to do, and then shutting it down.  If I don't
have that option, how do I safely re-start or upgrade an agent?

I like Brett's suggestion to ask the agent to tell you about itself
rather than have users enter info on the master that may not actually
match the agent.

--
Wendy