continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: folding Redback into Archiva or Continuum?
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 14:42:33 GMT

On 03/12/2010, at 12:19 AM, Louis Smith wrote:

> Interesting timing on this.

I'm glad to hear about it - I hoped that the topic would make any direct users come out of
the woodwork!

> We are in the process of rolling out the latest
> releases of Archiva and Continuum as part of the Software Development
> Infrastructure used at a government agency that is one of my key clients.
> We use the redback security so the developers can log in with their normal
> AD based credentials.
>
> I also tasked 2 of my developers with looking at using Redback to use as the
> core of security for their Java apps that run the agency.  Both felt that it
> wasn't "ready for prime time" for other usage - but Archiva and Continuum
> were ok as the SDI roles are managed within continuum at the project level
> anyway.
>
> If Redback were to "flesh out" the full RBAC robustly, then they would have
> been interested.

Right - that's what the other initial interest was in relation to as well, but nothing has
happened in the last 2 years. It's a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation I guess. For the
existing functionality, it's been relatively stable for some time too.

There's a couple of questions worth asking you here:
- is there anything we can do to help you contribute?
- would that be helped or hindered by the project changing location?

> We did have to apply the case sensitivity patch to Redback and rebuild
> everything - but other than that, we love the suite.
> (svn/maven/archiva/continuum/forrest).  Please make sure that makes it into
> the next releases!

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

- Brett