continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Jansen Chua <chuabl...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to use installations in their config file
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 08:15:46 GMT
Hello Wendy,

I'm pressuming on what you said meant that the master and the agents are have separate installations
and can't be mixed during build.

>From my understanding, when doing "parallel builds" continuum will be using the installations
of the master, since the improvement is for "distributed builds", the installations would
come from the build agents' installations + from the build environment's installations where
the build agents' are group in which the installations would be for the agents. So during
a "distributed build", continuum will be communicating with the build agent on the installations
that were configured, continuum would just be relaying the installation set for the build
agent to use in where the build agent is on (Linux, Windows).

What do you think Wendy?? does this answer the problem?? :D

P.S. More discussions & suggestions would be very much appreciated :D

Thanks a lot,
Chuable

--- On Wed, 12/8/10, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to
use installations in their config file
To: dev@continuum.apache.org
Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 9:25 AM

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Marc Jansen Chua <chuable82@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Brett,
>
> Assuming that individual configuration of installation for build agents is supported.

There is no requirement that all build agents in a group be identical.

> Build Agents are grouped into Build Agent Groups, and Build Agent Groups together with
a set of Installations are grouped into Build Environments, so if in the case of an environmental
variable "HOME" that both the build agent & the build environment have but with different
values(i.e. build agent's config of HOME=/home/dummy, build environment's config of HOME=/home/dummy2)
shows that installation duplicate is possible. My implementation would be that the build agent's
installation would override the collision of installation of the build environment. Therefore
when building, that single build agent would be using HOME=/home/dummy, for other build agents
that have no collision with the build environment's installation, they will be using HOME=/home/dummy2
when building.

I can't find it at the moment, but I thought Brett had a JIRA issue
open about not passing values (for things like directory paths) from
the master to the agent, but instead just passing a key and letting
the agent have its own value.

For example, there's no way a Master running on Linux should be
passing the value of its home directory down to an agent that may be
running on Windows.  (And iirc Brett thought it was a security issue
to be passing a directory path in the first place.)

--
Wendy