continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to use installations in their config file
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 03:48:32 GMT
I'm not sure there should be any duplication. The ones on the agent will be the ones specific
to that machine, the master things like MAVEN_OPTS settings which might be common.

Are the installations keyed in some way that they can use the same ID if they are intended
to "override" the master settings for a given build agent?

On 07/12/2010, at 1:47 PM, Marc Jansen Chua wrote:

> Hello Deng,
>
> Forgot to mention on the duplicate installation case. I am planning to give more weight
on the installations in build agents because configuring installations in build agents can
cater to customizability in micro-managing build agents compared to build environment installations
which affects all(macro-managing) build agents' installations. So in the case of duplicate
installation between the build agent in a build environment and the build environment the
build agent is in, the build agent's installation will overlap the build environment's installation.

> Is there any better way than the implementation that I currently propose??
> Thoughts & ideas would count a lot :D
>
> Thanks,
> Chuable

to use installations in their config file
> To: dev@continuum.apache.org
> Date: Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 10:23 AM
>
> Extending the installation config sounds fine to me, but we need to
> make sure that it is clearly documented :)
>
> Btw, how would duplicate installations be handled? For example, if a
> JDK installation is defined in the build environment then another JDK
> installation is defined in the build agent. I would assume the
> installation in the build agent would take precedence over the one in
> the build environment?
>
> Thanks,
> Deng
>
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Marc Jansen Chua <chuable82@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hello Deng,
>>
>> I am planning to retain the build environment because some other users may be using
its concept of installation configuration. The addition would just be the ability to include
installations from an xml config file of a build agent that is being used in the build process.
So the installation set would be the combination of the installations in the build environment
together with the installations from each of the build agents utilized in the build process.
The idea of my implementation of the improvement would just be considered as an extending
of the installation configuration rather than a major overhaul of the build agent's installation
configuration process.

>> The reason for this improvement is that currently, I am trying to manipulate individual
installations from each build agent, as I have observerd in continuum, build agents only use
the installations from their build environments during build.

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org