continuum-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Implementation proposal for Continuum Issue #2592 Ability for build agents to use installations in their config file
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 13:28:17 GMT
On 08/12/2010, at 7:15 PM, Marc Jansen Chua wrote:

> Hello Wendy,
>
> I'm pressuming on what you said meant that the master and the agents are have separate
installations and can't be mixed during build.

> From my understanding, when doing "parallel builds" continuum will be using the installations
of the master, since the improvement is for "distributed builds", the installations would
come from the build agents' installations + from the build environment's installations where
the build agents' are group in which the installations would be for the agents. So during
a "distributed build", continuum will be communicating with the build agent on the installations
that were configured, continuum would just be relaying the installation set for the build
agent to use in where the build agent is on (Linux, Windows).

If I understand what you've said, I think we agree - I'll just re-state to make sure.

- each installation has an ID (env var name, Maven installation name, etc)
- if an installation in the build agent with a given ID has a path there, it overrides the
installation from the master with the same ID
- otherwise, installations from the master are used

> --- On Wed, 12/8/10, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can't find it at the moment, but I thought Brett had a JIRA issue
> open about not passing values (for things like directory paths) from
> the master to the agent, but instead just passing a key and letting
> the agent have its own value.

Yep, I think that's the case for maven installations and local repositories (which is a separate
thing). The former should be taken care of if its done as above. Environment variables are
inherently arbitrary locations with a well-known key to use :)

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org